You can find the Going Linux podcast on iTunes, on Stitcher, or on the Going Linux website:
http://goinglinux.com … and on Twitter (@goinglinux) and Google+ (or just Google for Larry Bushey Linux. You’ll find lots of stuff!)
LINUX TOPIC FOR THE MONTH:
“Linux not doing what you want? You’re doing it wrong!”
- I have seen many of the frustrations users experience when switching from one OS to another. Most of the frustration and resistance to change is related to the User Interface (UI).
- Switching to a new user interface can be frustrating, whether you are switching from Windows to Mac, Windows to Linux, or Windows “anything” to Windows 8.
- As with anything new, you might have to change the way you do what has come naturally in the past.
- Rather than fight with your computer, spend a few minutes, check the documentation and learn a few tricks and tips.
- Using the menus.
- Searching for things.
- Closing a window.
- Finding an application.
- Installing an application.
- Getting software updates.
- Getting support.
- Upgrading your operating system.
Links we discussed in the show:
Linux Mint 14 has been released!
Ubuntu packages: http://packages.ubuntu.com/
System Profiler and Benchmarking:
HardInfo: a.k.a. “System Information” http://wiki.hardinfo.org/HomePage
HardInfo screencast (demo): http://wiki.hardinfo.org/Screencast
HAL Device Manager: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DeviceManager
Ubuntu Enables Audacity Record Streaming Audio